Friday, July 8, 2011

Loosing Your Virginity Taiwan Style

...not really, but that's what this song is about. Our school had a karaoke or a singing contest, if you will, and the Mongols owned the show. They (he) took home the first prize for this sick rendition of a 90's Taiwanese pop song, which is about loosing your virginity. For real. It's a catchy tune and easily got the crowed going. Most other students chose Taiwanese ballads. And it's not their fault. There's not much variety when it comes to the pop here, or any genre for that matter. Actually, there's really only one genre when you come to think of it - what EVERYBODY else listens to. I guess that's the best way to explain it. They like to conform here. Everyone does the popular thing. Deviation from the norm is sort of weird.

Anyways, this dude really brought it home. He chose an upbeat track, added some fly dance moves and got the crowed into it. I really enjoyed it myself. And I can't say that for most of the other contestants. So I decided to put together this video. Something to watch while you wait (I hope) for the following episode! You can see more of the contestants and the competition in this upcoming installment of Situation 101, which is almost finished! I'm working faster this time around.

Also, you can google the lyrics and check out the original song/video on YouTube. I think this Taiwanese tune is definitely worth the download. And I won't say that about a lot of tracks put out by the Taiwanese music industry. Enjoy!

Song: 愛的初體驗 (Literally, first love experience)
Artist: 張震嶽 (Zhang Zhen Yue)

No comments:

Post a Comment